I can be an over eater. It doesn’t define me but some days it does. I think compulsive overeating is one of the least talked about eating disorders that people go through. It’s a lot like bingeing but you don’t necessarily have to purge, or even have to binge in any major or intense way.
It’s a pretty depressing subject, so I won’t dwell on it. I have my disorder pretty well under control lately. The worst times for me are when I’m tried, stressed out, or have an unusual schedule, but there are ways to manage the problem and even beat it and that’s what I’m going to talk about in today’s post.
If you’re dealing with serious compulsive overeating please get help from a professional. I am not a professional; I am writing about the issue because I know what seems to work in my own life. I have a few tips for things to do when you feel a binge coming on. I lost ten pounds by watching what I eat, taking daily walks, and following some of these tips. These tips can work for you if you’re dieting and trying to keep your mind off eating for a few hours, if you’re thinking about contacting your ex for the 100th time, or if you’re just plain bored. Try them out next time you’re having a low moment.
20 Things to Do When You’re Bored/Stressed/Tired/Emotionally Unstable:
1. Pick up your book and read it carefully. Get engrossed in it.
2. Go grab a book on tape and curl up with a blanket while listening to it.
3. Write in your diary about your feelings, or something totally unrelated.
4. Go for a walk.
5. Stretch your muscles.
6. Make a cup of tea.
7. Browse the news online or in a paper.
8. Skype or Facebook chat an old friend.
9. Lay down and take a nap.
10. Watch an indie movie on Netflix.
11. Have a glass of water and a piece of gum.
12. Call your best friend, a family member, or your significant other.
13. Plan a fun weekend activity.
14. Look for books to read online. A great website is goodreads.com.
15. Listen to new music on Spotify.
16. Dance around your room with the door shut and music blasting.
17. Talk to yourself or whoever else is around (pets, stuffed animals, whatever!)
18. Get engrossed in work.
19. Get engrossed in TV.
20. Send a relatively long Facebook message to an old friend.